Innovative solutions to reduce pllutants at the source to avoid treatment costs.
Enviro-Stewards’ approach is unlike that of most consultants.
Instead of performing a traditional audit, which solely focuses on ways to dispose of toxic substances at the end state, we examine the root cause in order to develop sustainable solutions aimed at reducing your overhead and pollution control costs.
Led by award-winning, Certified Pollution Prevention Practitioner (P2) and Licensed Toxic Substance Reduction Planner, Lloyd Hipel, our team will conduct a holistic review of your facility to accurately assess your processes to determine sustainable alternatives.
Pollution Prevention Assessments and Pollution Reduction Legislation is enforced all across North America and it is vital for businesses to become compliant by implementing toxic substance reduction plans.
Implementation of a pollution prevention solution reduces:
- Pollutants in the air, water, and soil
- Health risks
- The use of energy, materials, and resources
- Future liability
- Toxic disposal costs
Determining and implementing sustainable solutions to prevent pollution not only benefits the environment by reducing toxins and conserving resources, these solutions also improve your bottom line.
We develop and implement solutions to help prevent pollution with an average payback of less than 1 year.
Pollution Prevention Success story
Trimac Transportation, located in the Regional Municipality of Halton, cleans semi-bulk containers and portable blending tanks of residual paints for the automotive industry. The vessels are cleaned with water, chemicals, and solvents and returned to the paint vendor. Trimac engaged Enviro-Stewards to conduct a pollution prevention assessment to address sewer, air, and federal P2 planning compliance concerns associated with methylene chloride.
After a holistic review of the Trimac facility and processes, Enviro-Stewards was able to identify and implement viable pollution prevention measures including:
- Changing the cleaning process to one that used soluble media blasting of labels and portables with baking soda, which eliminated the need for toxic solvents.
- Refitting the valve cleaning station with covered tanks/sinks in series, in order to allow the wash solvent solution to be reused over a period of several days.
- Installing a foot-operated valve to save over 600 tonnes of water per year.
- Installing a vacuum system to remove retained paint from containers and then segregating the recovered paint by type to facilitate paint reuse alternatives.
The outcome of the Enviro-Stewards pollution prevention recommendations made in the assessment reduced:
- 24 tonnes/yr of toxics
- 68 tonnes of subject wastes
- 55 tonnes/yr of hazardous wastes
- 810 tonnes/yr of water
- 2 tonnes/yr of GHGs
This P2 assessment virtually eliminated the use of a CEPA toxic, reduced worker exposure, provided water savings, improved spill prevention, and had an annual net savings of $225,000/yr with a collective payback of five months. The project also received an honourable mention award from the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME).
Enviro-Stewards is dedicated to the development of innovative solutions to achieve long-term resource and financial sustainability for businesses.
Stop paying for wasted resources and toxic disposal.